Grew up and lived in Greece until 2015 with brief breaks in Sweden, Spain and the United States. Lived in San Francisco from January 2015 till November 2017 and currently in Oakland.
Got my PhD in late 2014 from the National Technical University of Athens under the supervision of Prof. Stefanos Kollias and Yannis Avrithis, working closely with my research brother Giorgos Tolias.
Currently conducting research and development on video understanding, temporal segmentation, learning image & video representations, multi-modal classification and large-scale vision and language.
Collaborated with Stanford on the Visual Genome project.
Development projects and Demos
Full list at my Google Scholar profile.
- Y. Chen, Y. Kalantidis, J. Li, Y. Shuicheng, J. Feng. Multi-Fiber Networks (pdf coming soon). In European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), 2018.
- J. Zhang, Y. Kalantidis, M. Rohrbach, M. Paluri A. Elgammal, M. Elhoseiny. Large-Scale Visual Relationship Understanding. arxiv:1804.10660, 2018.
- R. Krishna, Y. Zhu, O. Groth, J. Johnson, K. Hata, J. Kravitz, S. Chen, Y. Kalantidis, L.-J. Li, D.A. Shamma, M. Bernstein and L. Fei-Fei. Visual Genome: Connecting Language and Vision Using Crowdsourced Dense Image Annotations. In International Journal of Computer Vision (IJCV), 2017.
- L. Jiang, L. Cao, Y. Kalantidis, S. Farfade and A. Hauptmann. MemexQA: Visual Memex Question Answering. arXiv:1708.01336, 2017.
- L. Jiang, Y. Kalantidis, L. Cao, S. Farfade, J. Tang and A. Hauptmann. Delving Deep into Personal Photo and Video Search. In Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM), 2017.
- S. Chancellor, Y. Kalantidis, J. A. Pater, M. De Choudhury and D. A. Shamma. Multimodal Classification of Moderated Online Pro-Eating Disorder Content. In ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), 2017.
- P. Garrigues, S. Farfade, H. Izadinia, Kofi Boakye and Y. Kalantidis. Tag Prediction in Flickr: A view from the darkroom. (Best paper award) In Large Scale Computer Vision systems Workshop at NIPS, 2016.
- Y. Kalantidis, C. Mellina and S. Osindero. Cross-dimensional Weighting for Aggregated Deep Convolutional Features. In Web-scale Vision and Social Media (VSM) Workshop, ECCV, 2016.
- Y. Kalantidis, L. Kennedy, H. Nguyen, C. Mellina and D.A. Shamma. LOH and behold: Web-scale visual search, recommendation and clustering using Locally Optimized Hashing. In Web-scale Vision and Social Media (VSM) Workshop, ECCV, 2016.
- Y. Kalantidis, A. Farahat, L. Kennedy, R. Baeza-Yates and D.A. Shamma. Visual Congruent Ads for Image Search. In International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), 2016.
- Y. Avrithis, Y. Kalantidis, E. Anagnostopoulos and I. Z. Emiris. Web-scale image clustering revisited. In International Conference on Computer Vision (oral) (ICCV), 2015.
- Y. Kalantidis and Y. Avrithis. Locally Optimized Product Quantization for Approximate Nearest Neighbor Search. In Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2014.
- G. Tolias, Y. Kalantidis, and Y. Avrithis. Towards large-scale geometry indexing by feature selection. Computer Vision and Image Understanding (CVIU), 2014.
- Y. Kalantidis, L. Kennedy and L.-J. Li. Getting the Look: Clothing Recognition and Segmentation for Automatic Clothing Suggestions in Everyday Photos. In International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval (Oral paper) (ICMR), 2013.
- Y. Avrithis and Y. Kalantidis. Approximate gaussian mixtures for large scale vocabularies. In European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV), 2012.
- G. Tolias, Y. Kalantidis, and Y. Avrithis. Symcity: Feature selection by symmetry for large scale image retrieval. In ACM Multimedia (Oral paper) (ACM MM 2012), 2012.
- Y. Avrithis, Y. Kalantidis, G. Tolias, and E. Spyrou. Retrieving landmark and non-landmark images from community photo collections. In ACM Multimedia (Oral paper) (ACM MM 2010), 2010.
- Y. Avrithis, G. Tolias, and Y. Kalantidis. Feature map hashing: Sub-linear indexing of appearance and global geometry. In ACM Multimedia (Oral paper) (ACM MM 2010), 2010.
- Y. Kalantidis, LG. Pueyo, M. Trevisiol, R. van Zwol, and Y. Avrithis. Scalable triangulation-based logo recognition. In International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR), 2011.
- Y. Kalantidis, G. Tolias, Y. Avrithis, M. Phinikettos, E. Spyrou, P. Mylonas, and S. Kollias. Viral: Visual image retrieval and localization. Multimedia Tools and Applications (MTAP), 2011.